The Hotel am Markt in the beautiful Sankt Goar with the best, direct Rhine location, looking forward to your visit. There are 27 double / twin rooms and 2 family rooms to choose from for your stay. Most of the rooms have a view of the Rhine, St. Goarshausen and Burg Katz, the jetties of several companies as well as the ferry are nearby. The train station can be found around the corner behind the collegiate church. Our kitchen offers a rich selection of food throughout the day and wines from the region are served from the cellar. Koenigsbacher Pils on Koblenz's barrel refreshes and quenches the thirst of tourists, hikers and cyclists who can spend the night at the Hotel am Markt. From here it is easy to explore the surrounding area, whether on foot, by bike, motorbike, car, train or boat.
Breakfast is only included with direct bookings this is a free additional service of the house!!!
Breakfast is not included in reservations made through intermediaries such as booking.com, expidia, etc. due to high commissions
The airports of Frankfurt am Main and Hahn are easily accessible and offer a connection to the beautiful wide world.
History of the hotel on the market in santa Goar am Rhein
The Abbey was originally located on the site of the 'Hotel Am Markt'.
The abbey served the abbots of Prüm (Eifel), whose possessions included the church of St. Goar since the 8th century, as an apartment when they were in St. Goar. After the counts of Katzenelnbogen took over the possession of the Prüm abbots, Burghers of the Rheinfels took the building to their residence. In 1577 the stately granary was established here.
From 1860 to 1907 there was then the Royal Prussian and the imperial post office. Here a piece of St. Goar's postal history was written: 1867 the telegraph enterprise was taken up, since 1898 the St. Goarer could lead telephone calls from a public speaking cell.
Only in 1922 were the last remnants of the old abbey broken off. A two-aisled vaulted cellar, probably medieval remains and is considered a monument. The Hotel am Markt was rebuilt in the original architectural style.
The building Market 2, former County Electricity Office; Listed from 1922, the listed building was completely gutted and renovated in 2016, and new hotel rooms were built so that the Hotel am Markt now has 27 rooms including 2 family rooms. After a long period of rest from the end of 2019, a core renovation of the former Hotel Hauser . be continued, so that the current eyesore at this excellent location again a sight we.
On the site of today's Protestant collegiate church of St. Goar there were already several places of worship. Where once Goar had built his chapel and where his burial vault was, the Abbey Prüm built a new church between 772 and 781.
After repeated church fires and renovations, the nave of today's collegiate church was built between 1444 and 1469 by Count Philipp von Katzenelnbogen, who resided at Rheinfels Castle. It is a late-Gothic, three-aisled gallery hall with built-in west tower, which is characteristic for Gothic churches on the Middle Rhine.
The Romanesque hall crypt from the 11th century, in which the grave of the Holy Goar was located, remained intact and is therefore today the oldest part of the church. The late Romanesque-early Gothic choir with its flank towers dates back to around 1250. The nave painting was created between 1469 and 1489. Thus, the collegiate church has the most important inventory of late Gothic murals on the Middle Rhine
Source .: www.st-goar.de